When I was editing a story at the Daily Illini the other day, a question came up regarding the spelling of a sports telecaster's name: Brent Musburger.
With the quick search on the Internet, it would appear that it is the correct spelling of his name. But when looking through the results, there is a smattering of his name spelled as either Musburger or Musberger.I decided to take a look at ESPN.com and search his name there. I figured with them being ESPN, the results would show a clear, definitive answer to my question. Well, that unfortunately did not happen. Here are the results with his name spelled Musburger and here are the results for the Musberger spelling.
The sportscaster does most of his work on ABC which is part of the Disney Company, as is ESPN. I can't believe so many Web sites are split on the spelling of his name. We ultimately chose to go with the spelling with the u in the name: Musburger. It seemed that it was used the most often and had the most search results on ESPN.com.
Obviously, it is very important to name check in stories because you never know when something may be spelled wrong, even with well-recognized names.
No comments:
Post a Comment