Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Are you afflicted with 'TiVo guilt'?

When skimming the headlines on CNN.com, this was one of the main headlines under the entertainment section: Are you afflicted with 'TiVo guilt'?

I thought this was an interesting story to lead with in the entertainment section. However, CNN uses a headline that draws the reader to the story. I wasn't sure what TiVo guilt was until I read the story.

More and more people are becoming turned off by their TiVos. Digital video recorders (DVRs) revolutionized television for many viewers, freeing them from endless VCR programming and buying and keeping track of tapes. But it turns out that very ease is providing users with more than they can watch -- and turning a joy into drudgery.
One issue I have with this story, however, is that I question whether this is actually news worthy. While the story is in the entertainment section, there are no facts or actual numbers that would improve this story.

A glaring omission are the statistics supporting the claims that fewer people are interested in TiVo or DVRs ... but does that mean less people are purchasing them? If these questions were answered, then an editor would be able to validate putting this story on the front of CNN.com. With the story acting more like an opinion piece, I feel it is lacking is factual support.


1 comment:

Sue Kantor said...

I totally agree. There is nothing worse than a story that doesn't have facts to back up assumptions. It may seem like general knowledge, but numbers and facts always make a story more credible. Copy editors should question where information (like in this story) comes from and if it is accurate.