Athletes' lives when they are not playing their respective sport tend to remain in the limelight where you are Patriots' Super Bowl MVP Tom Brady or Cardinals backup quarterback Matt Leinart. (Both of their personal lives were in the spotlight for who they were dating/children out of wedlock/not having or wanting a role in their child's life.) However, most athletes don't want their personal lives in the spotlight.
That doesn't appear to be the case for Dallas Stars forward Sean Avery. Apparently, he sought out reporters when the team was in Calgary. Here is a little snippet of what Avery said:
When told there was, he said, "I'm just going to say one thing.In case you aren't sure what Avery is talking about, this hockey player is talking about, he is referring to his string of ex-girlfriends.
"I'm really happy to be back in Calgary; I love Canada," the Ontario native said. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight." He then walked out of the locker room.
Avery's ex-girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert of the television show "24" and the movie "Old School," is dating Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf; she had been romantically linked to Mike Komisarek of the Montreal Canadiens. Avery also dated Rachel Hunter, the former Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover model and actress who is now the girlfriend of Los Angeles Kings center Jarret Stoll.Subsequently, Avery was suspended by the NHL for his comments not pertaining to hockey.
While, yes, these comments were out of line and Avery does have a checkered past, I don't think this story should be getting as much coverage as it is on ESPN.com. As of 5 p.m., the Avery story was the lead, packaged story which has links to various commentaries, a timeline and the actual video of the incident.
As an editor, a story about Weis remaining head coach at Notre Dame or Tuberville being fired at Auburn should take precedence over this story about a guy bitter about who his ex-girlfriends are dating.

1 comment:
I feel absolutely no sympathy for athletes who feel as if their lives have been invaded by the press. It's part of the territory. While I'll admit that in recent years the issue may have grown, you're getting paid millions of dollars to hit a ball and sell cheeseburgers. It must be rough.
Pardon my ranting, but I have a tendency to think about those who suffer during the holidays. Children who don't have proper clothing to walk in the snow or who won't get Christmas presents. Athletes have a lot to be thankful for; getting over the camera.
Post a Comment